COAA Best Dissertation Award 2013
Following the successful launch of the COAA's best dissertation award last year, we will continue to select the best dissertations and make it annually with the following revisions:
(1) The candidates are limited to newly graduated PhDs who graduated within the past year (from Oct 1 2012 to Sep 30 2013 for this year) based on the date of successful defense certified by the supervisor. The deadline to apply is December 1, 2013.
(2) To sustain the event financially and to enhance its impact, COAA is seeking for long-term sponsorship to provide funding for the cash award. The number of award is limited to two without ranking, preferably but not mandatory, each in atmospheric and oceanic sciences.
(3) The award will be announced at the annual AMS conference. Details about the award call will be available through email announcement.
1. Students graduated from an accredited university in the United States with a PHD degree in oceanic and atmospheric research.
2. Passed PHD defense within the period of October 1 of last year to September 30 of the current year certified by the department.
1. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the thesis(PDF) and 1-page CV attached, including education, experience, honors,and publications by December 1st 2013
2. Two recommendation letters are highly recommended with one from the supervisor.
3. Applicants need to register at the COAA website (http://www.coaaweb.org/join.php)when appliying.
1. Two rewards will be bestowed each year, preferably but not mandatory, each in atmospheric and oceanic sciences.
2. The awardee will receive a certificate of "Excellent Dissertation Award" as well as a cash price(amount TBD).
3. Winners will be accounced at the annual AMS meeting as well as on the COAA web site. Award notifications will also be sent to the advisor and department chair.
4. Awarded papers will be posted on the COAA web site (http://www.coaaweb.org)and is likely published as a monograph with no cost to the awardee(details in progress).
1. The quality of dissertation judged by various factors such as publications, recommendation letters, solicited reviews by experts in the field, etc.
2. The selection will be made following anonymous voting by all board members with numerical ranking.